1. 18th FIBA Basket Ball World Cup
- The 2019 FIBA Basketball World Cup will be the 18th tournament of the FIBA Basketball World Cup for men’s national basketball teams. The tournament will be hosted in China.
- Yan Xu’s design, a Chinese Dragon-inspired named Son of Dreams, was announced to be the winning mascot.
- The top eight teams, including Japan as the host of the 2020 Summer Olympics (and the top two teams from each of the Americas and Europe; and the top team from each of Africa, Asia and Oceania) in this competition will qualify for the men’s basketball event in the 2020 Olympic Games in Tokyo.
- Both the Czech Republic and Montenegro will make their first appearances in the FIBA World Cup as debutants.
2. Pan American Games
- The Pan American Games is a major sporting event in the Americas featuring summer sports, in which thousands of athletes participate in a variety of competitions.
- The competition is held among athletes from nations of the Americas, every four years in the year before the Summer Olympic Games.
- The 2019 Pan American Games was held in Lima, Peru.
- Brazil has topped the charts.
- The 2023 Pan American Games, officially the XIX Pan American Games, will be the 19th edition of the Pan American Games and an international multi-sport event scheduled to be held from October 22 to November 5, 2023 in Santiago, Chile.
3. SAG Games (South Asian Games) 2019
- The 2019 South Asian Games, officially the XIII South Asian Games, is a major multi-sport event will be held from 1–10 December 2019 in Kathmandu and Pokhara, Nepal.
- The South Asian Games are a biennial multi-sport event held among the athletes from South Asia. The governing body of these games is South Asia Olympic Council, formed in 1983.
- At present, SAG are joined by eight members namely Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, the Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan, and Sri Lanka.
1. Officer on Special Duty in PMO
- PK Sinha has been appointed as Officer on Special Duty in PMO.
- P K Sinha has served as the Cabinet Secretary before the appointment of Rajiv Gauba.
- The Prime Minister’s Office consists of the immediate staff of the Prime Minister of India, as well as multiple levels of support staff reporting to the Prime Minister. The PMO is headed by the Principal Secretary, currently Nripendra Misra.
- Jitendra Singh, Minister of State for Prime Minister’s Office
2. ‘Walk to Work’ Campaign
- Meghalaya Government has launched ‘Walk to Work’ Campaign as a part of Fit India Movement.
- Chief Minister of Meghalaya: Conrad K Sangma; Governor: Tathagata Roy.
3. Special Tiger Force for Jim Corbett
- Uttarakhand Government has inducted a Special Tiger Force for Jim Corbett Tiger Reserve.
- Uttarakhand: Chief Minister: Trivendra Singh Rawat; Governor: Baby Rani Maurya.
- Jim Corbett National Park is a forested wildlife sanctuary in northern India’s Uttarakhand State.
4. Assam’s National Register of Citizens List
- State coordinator of the National Register of Citizens Prateek Hajela has released the final draft of National Register of Citizens list of Assam.
- A total of 3.11 crore people have been found eligible out of 3.29 crore applicants.
- 19.06 lakh people have been excluded from the final NRC list.
- The National Register of Citizens is the register containing names of Indian Citizens. The only time that a National Register of Citizens (NRC) was prepared was in 1951 when after the conduct of the Census of 1951, the NRC was prepared by recording particulars of all the persons enumerated during that Census.
1. Ghaznavi Ballistic Missile
- Pakistan has successfully tested fired surface-to-surface Ballistic Missile Ghaznavi.
- Capital: Islamabad || Currency: Pakistani rupee || Prime minister: Imran Khan || President: AviArif
2. Book ‘Obama: The Call of History’
- Book ‘Obama: The Call of History’ is authored by Peter Baker
- It gives in-depth account of Barack Obama’s years in office.
- Peter Eleftherios Baker is an American journalist and author who is the chief White House correspondent for The New York Times and a political analyst for MSNBC.
1. Startup Cell
- Central Board of Direct Taxes has launched a five-member special cell ‘Startup Cell’ for startups.
- It will address the grievances of the startups regarding angel tax and other tax-related issues.
- The Chairperson, Central Board of Direct Taxes is the senior-most IRS civil servant in the Government of India. The Chairperson of CBDT is the ex officio Special Secretary to the Government of India and also cadre controlling authority of the Indian Revenue Service.
- Chairman of CBDT: Pramod Chander Mody.
2. Mega Merger of Public Sector Banks
- 10 public sector banks are to be merged into four banks.
- Punjab National Bank, Oriental Bank of Commerce and United Bank of India to be merged into one single bank.
- Canara Bank and Syndicate Bank are to be merged.
- Union Bank of India, Andhra Bank and Corporation Bank are to be merged.
- Indian Bank and Allahabad Bank are to be merged.
- After the amalgamation, the total number of Public Sector Banks will reduce to 12 from 27 banks.
3. Motor Vehicle Act
- The amended provisions of the Motor Vehicle Act have come into force from 01st September 2019.
- The Motor Vehicles Act, passed in the year 1988 by the Indian Parliament, regulates almost all aspects of road transport vehicles. It has provisions for traffic regulations, vehicle insurance, registration of motor vehicles, controlling permits and penalties. The Act came into force from 1 July 1989.