14 October Current Affairs Today News Headlines –
- The International Day for Disaster Risk Reduction is observed on 13 October every year.
- The aim of this day is to promote a global culture of risk-awareness and disaster reduction.
- The day celebrates how people and communities around the world are reducing their exposure to disasters and raising awareness about the importance of reining in the risks that they face.
- 2019 Theme: Reduce disaster damage to critical infrastructure and disruption of basic services.
- World Standards Day (or International Standards Day) is celebrated internationally each year on 14 October.
- The aim of World Standards Day is to raise awareness among regulators, industry and consumers as to
the importance of standardization to the global economy.
- Around the globe, it is celebrated by the members of IEC (the International Electro-technical
Commission), ISO (The International Organization for Standardization) and ITU (The International
- 2019 theme: Video standards create a global stage
- Union Minister of State for Culture and Tourism Prahlad Singh Patel participated in BRICS Culture Ministers’meeting held in Curitiba, Brazil.
- India and Sierra Leone signed six agreements including extended a credit line of 30 million US Dollars for rice cultivation.
- A joint military exercise Dharma-Guardian 2019 will be conducted between India and Japan at the Counter Insurgency and Jungle Warfare School, Vairengte in Mizoram from October 19 to November 2.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has become the most-followed elected world leader on photo-sharing app Instagram.With 30 million followers, PM Modi leads the list of world leaders on Instagram, with Joko Widodo coming in a close second with 25.6 million followers on the popular app.
- The Governor of Madhya Pradesh Shri Lalji Tandon in the presence of Minister of State for Culture and Tourism (I/C), Shri Prahalad Singh Patel inaugurated the 10th Rashtriya Sanskriti Mahotsav in Jabalpur in Madhya Pradesh.
- It’s the 24th world championship medal for Simone Biles, breaking a tie on 23 with the Belarusian men’s gymnast Vitaly Scherbo. Biles scored 15.066 on the beam after a near-flawless routine.
- The Indian women’s boxing contingent ended the World Boxing Championships campaign with a record four medals after Manju Rani bagged the silver in the 48kg category final. 19-year-old Manju lost the gold-medal bout 1-4 against 2nd seed Ekaterina Paltceva of Russia but still
managed to finish as the best Indian performer in this edition. This was Manju’s maiden appearance at the World Championships. India finished with one silver and three bronze medals after Jamuna Boro, Lovlina Borgohain and MC Mary Kom clinched the bronze medals in their respective categories.
- Indian shuttler Lakshya Sen clinched his maiden BWF World Tour title by winning the Dutch Open men’s singles at Almere in the Netherlands.