1. Book ‘Savarkar: Echoes from a forgotten past, 1883-1924’
- Book ‘Savarkar: Echoes from a forgotten past, 1883-1924’ is authored by Historian Vikram Sampath.
- The book describes the life of freedom fighter and Philosopher Veer Savarkar.
- Veer Savarkar, was an Indian independence activist, politician, lawyer, writer, and the formulator of the Hindutva philosophy.
2. Madhya Pradesh’s Happiness Department
- Madhya Pradesh Government’s Happiness Department will set up a Time Bank.
- Time Bank would lend currency to an hour, which could be exchanged to learn a new skill without any need for any paper money.
- Whenever a bank member needs a service or wants to acquire a skill, he/she could exchange a credit, worth an hour, with another member knowing the skill.
- In 2016, Madhya Pradesh became the first state in India to have ‘Happiness Department’ that will work as knowledge resource centre on the subject of happiness on the lines of Bhutan.
3. Man Portable Anti-Tank Guided Missile (MP-ATGM)
- DRDO has successfully test-fired Man Portable Anti-Tank Guided Missile (MP-ATGM) from a firing range in Kurnool, Andhra Pradesh.
- The Defence Research and Development Organisation is an agency of the Government of India, charged with the military’s research and development, headquartered in New Delhi, India.
- Headquarters: New Delhi || Founded: 1958 || Minister responsible: Rajnath Singh, Minister of Defence || Agency executive: Dr G. Satheesh Reddy, Chairman, DRDO;
4. Srivilliputtur ‘palkova’ gets GI Tag
- Srivilliputturpalkova, a sweet made from cow milk and sugar, has got GI Tag from Geographical Indications Registry in Chennai.
- Srivilliputhur or Thiruvilliputhur is a town and a Municipality in Virudhunagar district in the Indian state of Tamil Nadu.
1. Global Malaria Cases by Lancet report
- India with 4% of worldwide cases, is ranked 4th in Global Malaria Cases in 2017 by Lancet report.
- Nigeria has topped the Global Malaria Cases by Lancet report.
- The severity of malaria varies based on the species of plasmodium.
2. Regional Comprehensive Economic Partnership (RCEP) Ministerial Meeting
- The 7th Regional Comprehensive Economic Partnership (RCEP) Ministerial meeting of 10 ASEAN countries and 6 Free Trade Agreement partners was held in Bangkok, Thailand.
- RCEP negotiations were formally launched in November 2012 at the ASEAN Summit in Cambodia.
- ASEAN is a regional intergovernmental organization comprising ten countries in Southeast Asia, which promotes intergovernmental cooperation and facilitates economic, political, security, military, educational, and sociocultural integration among its members and other countries in Asia.
- 10 States ― Brunei Darussalam, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, and Vietnam. 1 Observer – Papua New Guinea.
- 6 Free Trade Agreement partners – China, Japan, South Korea, Australia, New Zealand and India.
- ASEAN: Headquarters: Jakarta, Indonesia || Founded: 8 August 1967
3. First Asian Country to roll out plain cigarette packaging
- Thailand has become First Asian Country to roll out plain cigarette packaging.
- Aim: An effective way to reduce the appeal of smoking.
- Thailand: Capital: Bangkok || Currency: Thai baht
4. World’s first malaria vaccine
- Kenya has become the third country in Africa to roll out the world’s first malaria vaccine known as RTS-S, joining Malawi and Ghana.
- Capital: Nairobi || Currency: Kenyan shilling
1. ‘India-Singapore: The Next Phase’ Indian business and innovation summit
- ‘India-Singapore: The Next Phase’ business and innovation summit was held in Singapore.
- Aim: To mark 100 days of PM Narendra Modi 2.0 in office and take economic ties between India and Singapore to a new level.
2. Samsung’s new App for deaf/blind people
- Samsung has unveiled two apps – Good Vibes and Relumino – to provide a tool for communication for deaf/blind people in India.
- ‘Good Vibes’ uses Morse code to convert vibrations into text or voice and vice-versa.
- ‘Relumino’ is a visual aid application for people with low vision and enables them to see images clearer by magnifying and minimizing images.
- Samsung is a South Korean multinational conglomerate headquartered in Samsung Town, Seoul. It comprises numerous affiliated businesses, most of them united under the Samsung brand, and is the largest South Korean chaebol. Samsung was founded by Lee Byung-chul in 1938 as a trading company.
- Founder: Lee Byung-chul || Founded: 1 March 1938, Seoul, South Korea || Headquarters: Seoul, South Korea
3. Netra Aircraft
- DRDO has handed over second airborne warning plane ‘Netra Aircraft’ to Indian Air Force.
- DRDO Airborne Early Warning and Control System (AEW&CS) is a project of DRDO to develop an airborne early warning and control system for the Indian Air Force.
- Netra Airborne Early Warning and Control (AEWC) aircraft, had played a stellar role during the Balakot air strikes.
4. National Conference on ‘Criminal Activities and Radicalization in Jails’
- Bureau of Police research and development will organize the National Conference on ‘Criminal Activities and Radicalization in Jails’ in New Delhi.
- It is a platform for the prison personnel of all ranks at the national level to share their honest views on various operational as well as administrative issues.
- The Bureau of Police Research and Development, was set up on 28 August 1970 in furtherance of the objective of the Government of India for the modernisation of police forces. It has evolved as a multifaceted, consultancy organisation.
1. New MD of National Basketball Association, India
- National Basketball Association has appointed Rajesh Sethi as Managing Director of NBA India.
- The National Basketball Association is a men’s professional basketball league in North America, composed of 30 teams. It is one of the four major professional sports leagues in the United States and Canada, and is widely considered to be the premier men’s professional basketball league in the world.x
2. Target Olympic Podium Scheme (TOPS)
- Boxer Mary Kom, shooter Yashaswini Singh Deswal and shuttler Sai Praneeth were among 12 top sports persons who were included in Target Olympic Podium Scheme.
- Target Olympic Podium Scheme (TOPS) within overall ambit of National Sports Development Fund (NSDF) for providing financial assistance to elite athletes.