17 October Current Affairs Today News Headlines –
National News :
- Raksha Mantri Rajnath Singh inaugurated the 41st DRDO Directors Conference in New Delhi.
- He said that DRDO has played a significant role in ensuring the technological advancement of our
forces and safeguarding our country.
- Chiefs of the three forces & DRDO Chairman G Satheesh Reddy were also present on the occasion.
- The Indian railways started 9 Sewa Service trains to connect small towns with their closest major cities.
- It will ease the hassle of travelling for daily passengers.
- These trains will provide better rail connectivity between smaller and satellite towns and important cities.
- Air India has become the first airline in the world to use a Taxibot on an A-320 aircraft with passengers on board.
- Taxibot is a robot-used aircraft tractor for taxiing an aircraft from parking bay to runway and vice-versa.
- Air India Chairman and Managing Director Ashwani Lohani flagged off flight AI665 and it was carried to the runway using Taxibot at Terminal 3 of the Delhi Airport.
- It will bring down the consumption of fuel by 85 per cent and reduce engine wear and tear.
- The ignition will be turned on only when the aircraft reaches the runway.
- Four Indian sites have been chosen from India for the UNESCO Asia-Pacific Awards for Cultural Heritage Conservation.
- The UNESCO Asia-Pacific Awards for Cultural Heritage Conservation awards were announced at a ceremony held in Penang, Malaysia, marking 20 years since its institution.
- The four winners from India, include one from Ahmedabad – Award of Distinction for Vikram
Sarabhai Library, Indian Institute of Management (IIM); and three from Mumbai – Award of Merit for Keneseth Eliyahoo Synagogue and Our Lady of Glory Church; while Honourable Mention for Flora Fountain.
International news :
- World Food Day is celebrated every year around the world on 16 October in honour of the date of the founding of the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations in1945.
- The day raises awareness and action on hunger to ensure food security and nutritious diet for all.
- 2019 theme: ‘Our Actions Are Our Future Healthy Diets for A #Zero Hunger World.
- India has slipped from 95th rank in 2010 to 102nd in 2019 on the Global Hunger Index (GHI).
- The Global Hunger Index measures and tracks hunger globally, by region and by country.
- The focus of GHI 2019 is Climate Change and Hunger, exploring the impact of extreme weather on food production, nutrition and food security.
- With a score of 30.3, India suffers from a level of hunger that is serious.
- Seventeen countries, including Belarus, Ukraine, Turkey, Cuba and Kuwait, shared the top rank with GHI scores less than five.
- Tunisia’s election commission said a preliminary count shows conservative law professor Kais Saied has won the country’s presidential election by a significant margin.
- The commission reported that Saied received 72.71% of the vote.
- His opponent, media mogul Nabil Karoui, got 27.29%.
- The 61-year-old Saied is an independent outsider but has support from moderate party Ennahdha, which won Tunisia’s parliamentary election last week.
- Capital: Tunis
- Currency: Tunisian dinar.
Economy News :
- Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister YS Jaganmohan Reddy launched ‘YSR Rytu Bharosa – PM KISAN’ in Nellore.
- Under the scheme, the state government will give input subsidy of Rs 13,500 to farmers in the state.
- Out of the amount, The Centre will be contributing Rs 6000 under PM KISAN Yojana.
- The state government will credit Rs 7500 in May, Rs 4000 in October and Rs 2000 in January.
Sports News :
- New Zealand’s Amy Satterthwaite became the world number one ODI batter in the latest ICC Women’splayer rankings.
- The 33-year old replaced India cricketer Smriti Mandhana and is now four points ahead of the opener.
- India all-rounder Shikha Pandey is at the tenth spot, moving up two places.