18 October Current Affairs Today News Headlines –
National News :
The Department of Animal Husbandry and Dairying released the 20th Livestock Census -2019.
- India’s livestock population has increased to over 535 million showing an increase of 4.6 per cent over Livestock Census-2012.
- As per livestock census, the share of cattle is around 36 per cent, the goat is over 27 per cent, buffaloes is over 20 per cent, sheep around 14 per cent and pigs around two per cent.
- The cow population is over 145 million, increasing by 18 per cent over the previous census.
- Among the states, West Bengal reported the highest increase of over 23 per cent in livestock population, followed by Telangana, Andhra Pradesh, Bihar and Madhya Pradesh.
- The livestock census is conducted across the country periodically since 1919.
- The census usually covers all domesticated animals and headcounts of these animals are taken.
Minister of Tribal Affairs, Arjun Munda announced the second phase of GOAL (Going Online as Leaders).
- GOAL is a Facebook program aimed at inspiring, guiding and encouraging tribal girls from across India to become village-level digital young leaders for their communities.
- Launched earlier this year in March, GOAL connects underprivileged young women from tribal areas with senior expert mentors in the areas of business, fashion and arts to learn digital and life skills.
- In the second phase of the program, the Ministry of Tribal Affairs and Facebook will digitally mentor 5000 young women in India’s tribal-dominated districts, together.
The Eastern Air Command of the Indian Air Force launched fighter operations from six civilian airfields under its area of command.
- The exercises will be conducted in two phases.
- Six civilian airfields where the operations will take place are Dimapur, Imphal, Guwahati, Kolkata,
Pasighat and Andal.
- Sukhoi Su-30MKI and Hawk 132 aircraft will be participating in the exercise.
- The exercise is aimed at familiarizing the Indian Air Force crew with the procedure of flying at busy
civilian airfields and coordinate with the civilian airport staff.
Indian Air Force (IAF) kick started its bilateral joint exercise with Royal Air Force Oman (RAFO), named ‘EX
EASTERN BRIDGE-V’ at Air Force Base Masirah.
- The IAF contingent comprises of Mig 29 UPG (upgrade) combat aircraft along with C-17 Globemaster transport aircraft.
- The Royal Air Force of Oman will be fielding Eurofighter Typhoon, F-16 and Hawk 200 combat aircraft in the exercise.
- For the first time, MiG-29 fighter aircraft will be participating in an international exercise outside India.
- Last time, the bilateral exercise was held in 2017 at Jamnagar.
Sitting District & Sessions Judge (North East) of the Delhi’s Karkardooma Courts Anoop Kumar Mendiratta has been appointed as the new Union Law Secretary.
- It is the first time a sitting judge has been appointed as Law Secretary.
- AK Mendiratta has been appointed till March 30, 2023, or until he attains the age of 60, whichever is earlier.
- The post of Law Secretary has been vacant since December 2018, when Suresh Chandra resigned after the Centre decided against extending his tenure.
Kiran Uniyal, w/o a serving Colonel of Indian Army has created Individual Guinness World Records for “The most full contact knee strikes in three minutes (one leg) (female), 263 strikes” & “The most full contact knee strikes alternate legs in one minute (female),120 strikes”.
- The earlier records were of 177 strikes and 102 in female category respectively.
- The objective of both her records was to promote martial arts for girls and women safety and self-defence.
- While creating the record for the most full contact knee strikes for three minutes, she surpassed the existing male category record of 226 knee strikes.
- She has so far achieved 15 World Records, including 10 Guinness World Records in Martial Arts, Fitness and Social Work.
International news :
UAE announced the establishment of Mohamed bin Zayed University of Artificial Intelligence (MBZUAI), the first graduate-level, research-based AI university in the world.
- MBZUAI will enable graduate students, businesses and governments to advance the artificial intelligence field.
- The University is named after Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan, Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi and Deputy Supreme Commander of the UAE Armed Forces.
- MBZUAI will introduce a new model of academia and research to the field of AI, providing students and faculty access to some of the world’s most advanced AI systems to unleash its potential for economic and societal development.
‘Friends’ star Jennifer Aniston is set to receive the People’s Icon Award at the 2019 People’s Choice Awards.
- The actress would be the second-ever recipient of the title.
- Last year, Melissa McCarthy accepted the trophy for the inaugural award.
- Fifty-year-old Aniston has played the most iconic, unforgettable characters and has conquered comedy and drama on both the small and big screen.
Economy News :
The India arm of Netherlands-based Home Credit Group has tied up with Karur Vysya Bank (KVB) for joint lending to tap the large unbanked customer base across the country.
- Karur Vysya Bank is a 103-year-old scheduled commercial bank headquartered at Karur in Tamil Nadu.
- It has a total business of about Rs 1.1 lakh crore with a deposit base of Rs 60,000 crore and a loan book of Rs 50,000 crore.
- Since its entry in 2012, Home Credit India has spread its operations over 179 cities across 20 states and emerged with the largest penetration is below Rs 10,000 category with a customer base of one crore.
Sports News :
FC Barcelona striker Argentina’s Lionel Messi received the 2018/19 Golden Shoe, the sixth of his career and the third consecutively.
- The 36 goals in 34 games that he scored last season in the league have served to ensure a new European Golden Shoe and a continuation of his records.
- The Argentinian was already the only player in history to get five Golden Shoes.
- It should be remembered that he won the first in the 2009/10 season (34 goals), then two in 2011/12 (50 goals) and 2012/13 season (46 goals), and now he has accumulated three more consecutively: 2016/17 (37 goals), 2017/18 (34 goals) and 2018/19 (36 goals).