Railways directed all its units to enforce a ban on plastic from October 2
Ministry of Railways has directed all its units to enforce a ban on single-use plastic material, with less than 50- micron thickness from October 2nd 2019.
- The move came in the wake of Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s clarion call to eliminate single-use plastic in the country.
- The Railways has emphasised on making necessary arrangements to minimize the generation of plastic waste and its eco- friendly disposal.
- All vendors and staff across will be encouraged to use reusable bags to reduce plastic footprint.
New health warnings on tobacco products pack from Sep 1
Centre has notified new sets of health warnings for all tobacco products by making an amendment in the Cigarettes and other Tobacco Products (Packaging and Labeling) Rules, 2008.
- The new warnings will come into effect from 1st September 2019.
- The text messages that will be printed on the packs are – tobacco causes a painful death.
- A national toll-free number – 1800-11-2356 will also be printed on packs to assist the users to quit.
- Thishelps in creating awareness among tobacco users and gives them access to counselling services to effect behaviour change.
Kiren Rijiju, Baichung Bhutia flag off Delhi leg of Op-Blue Freedom
Sports Minister Kiren Rijiju and former India football captain Baichung Bhutia flagged off the Delhi leg of Op- Blue Freedom.
- This is an initiative in which a group of armed forces veterans train sports enthusiasts in survival training and self-defence.
- Op-Blue Freedom is also a nation-wide adaptive scuba diving programme for people with disabilities as well as the able-bodied.
- The program aims to train adventure enthusiasts in special forces skills like survival techniques, emergency first response skills, unarmed combat, endurance and fitness.
HRD Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank’ launches Teachers Training Programme NISHTHA
Human Resources Development Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank’ launched the Integrated Teachers Training Programme, NISHTHA in New Delhi.
- NISHTHA stands for National Initiative for School Head’s and Teachers’ Holistic Advancement.
- This integrated programme aims to build the capacities of around 42 lakh participants covering all teachers and Heads of the school.
- Throught initiative, teachers at the elementary level will be able to acquire scientific temperament and knowledge of other important educational aspects and transfer it to students.
Govt to make FASTag mandatory for all vehicles from December 2019
Road Transport and Highways Minister Nitin Gadkari have announced that FASTags will become mandatory for all vehicles from December this year.
- FASTag enabled vehicles can cruise through the dedicated FASTag lane without stopping at toll plazas on National Highways.
- Launching the new website of his Ministry in New Delhi, Mr Gadkari said, over 52 lakh FASTags have been issued till date.
- FASTags are being issued by 22 certified banks through various channels such as Point-of-Sale at NH toll plazas and selected bank branches.
- FASTag is an electronic toll collection system in India, operated by the National Highway Authority of India (NHAI).
Power Minister launches State Rooftop Solar Attractiveness Index
Power Minister R K Singh launched the State Rooftop Solar Attractiveness Index -SARAL in New Delhi.
- Karnataka has been placed at the first rank in the Index followed by Telangana and Gujarat.
- The index evaluates states based on their attractiveness for rooftop development.
- SARAL encourages each state to assess the initiatives taken so far and to improve its solar rooftop ecosystem.
- The Ministry has set a target of 175 gigawatts of renewable energy capacity by 2022, of which 100- gigawatt solar power is to be operational by March 2022.
SEBI announces a reward of Rs 1 crore to insider trading informants
The Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) has announced a reward of up to one crore rupees for informants willing to provide credible information regarding insider trading cases.
- This will be a part of the detailed set of rules for the new ‘Informant Mechanism’ under the Prohibition of Insider Trading Regulations that was approved by the SEBI board.
- The norms also propose a possible amnesty or settlement for minor wrongdoings in return for cooperation in the probe.
- SEBI will establish an Office of Informant Protection, which will be responsible for the receipt, registration and processing of the disclosure form and also for ascertaining its authenticity.
Rajiv Gauba appointed new Cabinet Secretary
Union Home Secretary Rajiv Gauba will be the new Cabinet Secretary.
- Mr Gauba who is a 1982 batch IAS officer of Jharkhand cadre will replace P.K. Sinha.
- The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet has approved the appointment of Mr Gauba as the Cabinet Secretary with a tenure of two years from 30th of this month.
Ajay Kumar appointed as Defence Secretary
The government has appointed Ajay Kumar as Defence Secretary.
- Ajay Kumar is a 1985 batch IAS officer of Kerala cadre and is currently serving as Secretary, Department of Defence Production.
- He will succeed Sanjay Mitra, upon completion of his term.
- Brij Kumar Agarwal has been appointed as Secretary to the Lokpal and Subash Chandra as Secretary of Department of Defence Production.
Culture Minister launches the book ‘ The Diary of Manu Gandhi’
Culture Minister Prahlad Singh Patel launched the book – ‘The Diary of Manu Gandhi’ at a function in New Delhi.
- The book has been brought out by National Archives of India, on the occasion of 150th anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi in collaboration with Oxford University Press.
- The first volume covers the period 1943-1944.
- The Diary of Manu Gandhi originally in Gujarati has been edited and translated by Dr Tridip Suhrud, a well-known scholar engaged in understanding the Gandhian Intellectual tradition.
- Manu Gandhi (Mridula) was a grand niece of Mahatma Gandhi and stayed with Gandhiji until his assassination.