24 October Current Affairs Today News Headlines –
24 October – UN Day (United Nations Day)
2019 Theme – Our Planet,Our Future
1. Lal Bahadur Shastri National Award for Excellence 2018 in Public Administration
- Senior Advocate Fali S Nariman has been awarded the 19th Lal Bahadur Shastri National Award for Excellence 2018 in Public Administration by VP Venkaiah Naidu.
- About Lal Bahadur Shastri :- Born: 2 October 1904, Mughalsarai || Died: 11 January 1966, Tashkent, Uzbekistan || Nickname: Man of Peace
2. Miss Deaf Asia crown
- Nishtha Dudeja has won the 18th Miss Deaf Asia 2018 title at an international pageant held in Prague.
- She is the first Indian to win this.
- She is the brand ambassador for Sivantos India Pvt Ltd.
3. Indian Carpets Expo
- PM Modi has inaugurated 36th Indian Carpets Expo at Trade facilitation Center and Craft Museum, Varanasi.
- It is organised by Carpet Export Promotion Council.
4. Shakti Bhatt First Book Prize 2018
- Writer Sujatha Gidla won Shakti Bhatt First Book Prize.
- She won it for ‘Ants Among Elephant: An Untouchable Family And The Making Of Modern India’ which is published by HarperCollins India.
- It is a New York subway conductor’s story of growing up in a Dalit community in India.
1. United Nations Day
- United Nations (UN) Day 2018 is celebrated all over the world on 24 October.
- The beginning of the United Nations can be traced back to the formation of the ‘League of Nations’. This group was formed at the end of World War I with the Treaty of Versailles.
- This year the theme is ‘The Right to Peace’.
2. Exercise ‘Druzhba-III’
- ‘Druzhba-III’, the 3rd edition of joint bilateral military training exercise between Pakistan and Russia is being held in Pakistan.
- Russia and Pakistan have been holding the ‘Friendship’ drills since 2016. In October 2016, they held their first-ever joint military exercise in Pakistan.
3. Exercise ‘Iron Magic 19’
- ‘Iron Magic 19’ is the joint military exercise between UAE and USA and has started in the Arabian Gulf.
- UAE:- Capital – Abu Dhabi || Currency – UAE dirham || Official language – Arabic || President – Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahyan || Prime Minister – Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum
4. New President of Cameroon
- Paul Biya has won the 7th term as President of Cameroon.
- Cameroon:- Capital – Yaoundé || Currency – Central African CFA franc || Prime Minister – Philémon Yang
5. World Polio Day
- World Polio Day is observed all over the world on 24 October.
- It was initiated by Rotary International.
1. New Editor of ‘The Hindu’
- Suresh Nambath has been appointed as the next Editor of ‘The Hindu’.
- He will succeed Mukund Padmanabhan.
2. Nasscom with Dubai Internet City
- National Association of Software and Services Companies has signed MoU with Dubai Internet City for expansion of Indian businesses in the Middle East.
- The National Association of Software and Services Companies is a trade association of Indian Information Technology and Business Process Outsourcing industry. Established in 1988, NASSCOM is a non-profit organisation.
3. Japan-India IT corridor
- Nasscom has signed an agreement with Hiroshima for ‘Japan-India IT Corridor’ in Hiroshima, Japan.
- Japan:- Capital: Tokyo || Currency: Japanese yen.
4. 7th Meeting of Education Ministers of SCO
- 7th meeting of education ministers of member states of the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO) was held in Astana, Kazakhstan.
- SCO:- Secretary General – Rashid Alimov || Headquarters – Beijing, China
1. Sergio Perez’s F1 contract
- Force India has announced a one-year extension for 2019 for Formula One Mexican driver Sergio Perez.
- Force India: Formula One racing team and constructor based in Silverstone, United Kingdom, with an Indian license || Team Principal & CEO – Otmar Szafnauer
2. FICCI India Sports Awards 2018
- Athletics Federation of India has been awarded the ‘FICCI India Sports Awards 2018’ in Best National Sports Federation category.
- Athletics Federation of India:- President – Adille Sumariwalla || Location – New Delhi
3. French Open 2018(Badminton)
- French Open 2018 has begun at Stade Pierre de Coubertin in Paris, France.
- The event will be held from 23 to 28 October 2018 and has a total prize of $750,000.