25 October Current Affairs Today News Headlines –
Prakash Javadekar launches first national protocol to enumerate snow leopard population in India.
● Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change launched the first national protocol to enumerate the snow leopard population in the country on the occasion of International Snow Leopard Day.
● International Snow Leopard Day is celebrated on October 23 every year to protect and conserve the snow leopards and preserve the beautiful wildlife of the Himalayas.
● India is believed to have 400 to 700 snow leopards spread across Himachal Pradesh, Uttarakhand, Sikkim, Arunachal Pradesh, Jammu and Kashmir and Ladakh.
● Project Snow Leopard is an initiative of the Environment Ministry which aims to safeguard and conserve India’s unique natural heritage of high altitude wildlife populations and their habitats by promoting conservation through participatory policies and actions.
GeM Partners with Federal Bank for payment-related services – PIB
● The Government e-Marketplace (GeM) signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with the Federal Bank to offer a number of services.
● These serviced including the transfer of funds through GeM Pool Accounts (GPA), advising of Performance Bank Guarantees (e-PBG) and Earnest Money Deposit (EMD) to the registered users on
● The MoU will facilitate a cashless, paperless and transparent payment system on the portal and would create an efficient procurement system for government entities.
Panchayati Raj Minister confers National Panchayat Awards 2019 – PIB
● Minister of Panchayati Raj Narendra Singh Tomar conferred the national Panchayat Awards, 2019 at
a function in New Delhi.
● 246 Awards were given to awardee Panchayats and States in various categories for their best
performance at different levels, including the delivery of services.
● 195 awards were conferred under Deen Dayal Upadhyay Panchayat Sashaktikaran Puraskar category, 20 Gram Panchayats in Nanajib Deshmukh Rashtriya Gaurav Gram Sabha Puraskar category and 3 Gram Panchayats in Gram Panchayat Development Plan Award category.
● 22 Gram Panchayats were awarded in ChildFriendly Gram Panchayats Award and six states were awarded under e-Panchayat Puraskar category.
● The Minister also launched an App called ‘Gram Manchitra’ which is a Geo-Spatial based decision
support system for panchayats.
International Affairs –
Google achieves ‘quantum supremacy’ – ANI
● Google has officially announced that it has achieved quantum supremacy with its advanced processor that was able to surpass the world’s most powerful supercomputer.
● Google says that its 54-bit Sycamore processor was able to perform a calculation in 200 seconds that would have taken the world’s most powerful supercomputer 10,000 years.
● The search giant has made the details of its research public for the scientific community to fully scrutinize its achievement.
Sports Affairs –
Aneesh Kumar Surendran Pillai bags third gold for India at World Military Games – AIR
● Aneesh Kumar Surendran Pillai bagged the third gold medal for India in the ongoing
World Military Games here at Wuhan, China.
● He won the gold in disabled men’s shotput IT1 event and he finished with a score of 12.76.
● Previously, He had bagged two gold medals for the Indian contingent in the ongoing World Military Games.
● He won the first gold in the disabled men’s 100m IT1 event and won another gold in the disabled men’s 400m IT1 event.
Praveen Kumar becomes first Indian man to win gold at Wushu World Championships
● Praveen Kumar became the first Indian man to win a Wushu World Championships gold, beating Russel Diaz of Philippines in the 48kg category in Shanghai.
● The Indian saw off his Filipino opponent 2-1 in the men’s Sanda event of the 15th World Wushu Championships.
● Among other Indians in the fray, Poonam (women’s 75kg) and Sanathoi Devi (women’s 52kg) secured silver medals while Vikrant Baliyan bagged the bronze in the men’s 60kg category.
● India finished third overall in the championship in event with a gold, two silvers and a bronze.
● Wushu is a Chinese martial art which combines full-contact kickboxing, including close-range punches and kicks, with wrestling, takedowns, throws, sweeps and kicks catch.