8 October Current Affairs Today News Headlines
1. Unnati Scheme
- Karnataka Govt. has launched ‘Unnati Scheme’ for SC/ST entrepreneurs.
- Karnataka CM: H. D. Kumaraswamy, Governor: Vajubhai Vala.
2. Gaganyaan 2022
- ISRO with Roscosmos State Corporation for Space Activities (ROSCOSMOS),Russia signed an agreement for Gaganyaan.
- ROSCOSMOS will offer a short visit to International Space Station (ISS) to Indian astronaut as a short training purpose.
3. ‘Maha madat’ App
- Maharashtra Govt. has launched ‘Maha madat’ App and website for the same.
- The App will analyse drought situation, rainfall, crop situation and underground water level
4. India–West Africa conclave
- CR Chaudhary led the Indian delegation to the Confederation of Indian Industry – EXIM Bank, Regional Conclave on India-West Africa Project Partnership in Abuja, Nigeria.
- CR Chaudhary is Minister of State for Commerce and Industry, Consumer Affairs and Food and Public Distribution.
1. Montserrat Caballé passes away
- Montserrat Caballé died at 85, in Barcelona, Spain.
- She was a Spanish operatic soprano. She sang a wide variety of roles, but is best known as an exponent of the works of Verdi and of the bel canto repertoire.
2. First Global Guidelines on sanitation and health
- World Health Organization has launched the first global guidelines on sanitation and health.
- World Health Organisation:- Formed on 7th April, 1948 || Headquarters – Geneva, Switzerland || Director General – Tedros Adhanom
3. World Post Day
- World Post Day is celebrated on 9th October 2018.
- October 9 was inducted as World Post Day by Universal Postal Union Congress at Tokyo, Japan in 1969.
4. US Supreme Court Justice
- Brett Kavanaugh has been appointed as the 114th Justice of the Supreme Court of US.
- US Government Federal presidential constitutional republic || President :- Donald Trump || Vice President :- Mike Pence || House Speaker :-Paul Ryan
5. Nobel Prize in Economics
- William D Nordhaus (America) and Paul M Romer(America) were awarded the Nobel Prize in Economics for the year 2018.
- 2017 winner was Richard H. Thaler for his contributions to behavioural economics.
1. ‘Future of Work in India’ survey by WEF
- This survey report has been released by the World Economic Forum (WEF).
- Around 770 companies are surveyed that included various sectors :- textiles, banking and financial services, transport and logistics, and retail.
- Female workforce participation is 27% which is 23% points below the global average.
2. Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) with the UN Environment
- CII and the UN Environment has signed an MoU to implement the environmental dimension of sustainable development goal SDG2030.
- United Nations Environment Programme is an agency of United Nations and coordinates its environmental activities, assisting developing countries in implementing environmentally sound policies and practices.
- Headquarters: Nairobi, Kenya || Head: Erik Solheim || Founded: 5 June 1972
3. ISSA GOOD Practice Award
- Employees’ State Insurance Corporation (ESIC) has awarded the ‘ISSA Good Practice Award’.
- The ceremony ‘Regional Social Security Forum for Asia and the Pacific’ was held at Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
1. John Terry retired
- Footballer John Terry has announced his retirement from playing.
- He is an English former professional footballer who played as a centre-back. He was previously captain of Chelsea and the England national football team.
2. Texas Open Squash Championship
- Squash player Vikram Malhotra(India) has won the Texas Open Squash Championship, Houston USA.
- He defeated Daniel Mekbeb(Czech Republic).
3. India’s 1st gold in Youth Olympics
- Weightlifter Jeremy won gold by lifting a total weight of 274 kg in the men’s 62 kg category.
- 2018 Youth Olympic Games :- Buenos Aires, Argentina.